CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Major Vent!

I got my first hurtful comment about DS tonight. I had gone to my neighbor's home to talk about an issue we've been having, we sat talking when she asked me what our plans are for the summer. I told that we have a few trips planned including San Antonio Tx for NDS conference. I then told her what a hard time we are having getting OT and PT services for Mitchell. She told me that she didn't think he should recieve these services because they cost the state too much money and that if we want services for him we should be paying for them ourselves "like parents used to do"! I tried to tell her how much these services would help him and she looked at me and said "You can't tell how much they'll help him, he's only a year and a half!" She is a school teacher and has recently had her hours cut, she told me that the state spends way too much money on children like Mitchell and not enough on regular ed. I was floored! I want my son to have the best education and learn as much as he's capable of, just like my other two children. I have the same expectations of all three of my children, Mitchell is just going to need some extra help to reach his potential. This woman has never been married or had children so I can't stand the fact that she stood there telling me what a burden my son was on the state.She has never walked even one foot in my shoes!! I just stood there and I am pretty sure that my lower jaw hit the floor because I was shocked, at a loss for words. My husband wanted to go over and speak his mind but didn't because he knew it would upset me. I would've spoke up but like I said, I was at a loss for words! I feel like she's blaming her lost hours directly on Michell, because of the services he's recieving, her hours were cut. She's crazy!!

5 comments:

Jenny said...

AGRRRR!! I just cannot believe some people!!!! So our kids are not worth as much as the rest of society??! Working with them is a waste of time and money?!!! It just shocks me that some people actually think this way! It's so ignorant and backward...And how does a Mother not let a comment like that hurt their heart...This made me sad. I find I clam up in situations like this also...Its like I am so stunned that I cant think of anything fast enough to say...Then I go home and swear my ass off and say all the things I wish I would have said, lol...sigh...Its just sad we have to deal with idiots who think our kids are a burden :(

Runningmama said...

Oh, if only we knew exactly what to say in these situations, but I bet God allows us to be left speechless so that we don't end up saying something we will regret later ;-) I highly doubt the money spent on our children is breaking the government...more likely poor spending. And furthermore, if our children receive the services they need they will have a better chance at being able to be a productive member of society and not be dependant for their entire lives.

Beth said...

Katie. You know me. I have alot to say about alot of things. Do you know how often I have to hold my breath and not say things or bite my tongue? I say things in fun and really not to hurt anyone. The thing is, you are like that too. You didnt say anything to her because you arent LIKE her. Dont let people with their own issues to rub you the wrong way. Just understand that her problems are real to her and they are not related to yours and its her issue if she tries to make them common to yours. Breathe in. Breathe out.

Lisa said...

Ok, first off... ugh on this post :( Sorry you had to face that. Unfortunately, a lot of people feel that way (of course, they neglect to think about how much more it would cost them if there was no early intervention and the state had to pay for our children as adults in institutions, but anyway). Sounds like she's just bitter. And didn't necessarily deserve a response from you :)

Second, I read your comment about Sacramento on my blog. We are in the Sacramento City Unified School District, but I don't really have a full review on them yet ;-) Sheridan will transition to them at 3 years old in August. For now, he's still receiving early intervention services through our regional center (Alta) and he has had (for the most part) AMAZING service providers. I'm happy to chat more if you send me your email :) We have an amazing group of families here!!!!!

Toyin O. said...

I hope you are feeling better now, that was very insensitive of her to say that.